- Category: DIFF Articles
- Created: 29 November 2013
The Durban International Film Festival is entering its 35th year in 2014 and is looking for a young, inspired new image to mark this special benchmark in the festival’s history.
Under the guidance of festival manager Peter Machen, the DIFF team is looking at creative ways to represent the festival and expand our reach to attract more attention from the public, media and global film community, with the ultimate aim of being recognised as the Cannes of Africa.
Designers and agencies are invited to pitch for the DIFF 2014 campaign. Pitches should include the following:
- A concept rationale of the visual campaign presented including reference.
- A near-to-complete poster design artwork in your own style. Anything goes (illustrated/photography/hand rendered/vector etc).
- Present an execution plan that shows possible roll out to:
- A1, A5, A6 publications
- 30 second moving video/animation promo (concept and treatment only)
- Landscape website banner
- T-shirt design
Some campaign guidelines.
- Our target market is very broad, so the campaign should be something that speaks clearly across cultures, maintaining a local edge while speaking to an International audience in a visual language that is understood by all.
- You should review and react to international counterparts. Find out what they are doing right and wrong. Examples include Sydney, Cannes, Tribeca, Dubai and Berlinale.
- We are looking for something completely new. Check out the festival archive of posters, and what has come before, and how that legacy can be reinterpreted for today’s audiences.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: EXTENSION! 15 FEBRUARY 2014
- A short-list of 5 submissions will be selected to present their ideas
- The selected campaign designer will be paid R10 000 for the use of the campaign concept and the handover of the final poster artwork.
- A further R15 000 will be paid for the roll-out of finished artwork for associated elements which include:
- T-Shirt design (front graphic and layout of logos and funders text)
- Adaptation of A1 poster to A6 programme and A5 catalogue
- Adaptation of artwork for pull up banners (various specs)
- Web banners (various specs)
- Creative direction of the 30-second video/animated promo. Depending on the medium chosen, this will inform the means in which it is produced, be it animation or live action. The costs of production of this video will be covered separately, but we are looking for an idea that is simple and cost effective.
Please follow the link at the top of the page to download the full brief PDF.